Tuesday, September 2, 2008

An EPIC queue


A new initiative is underway in India to provide every single eligible and enlisted voter with photo ID cards. It is quite an ambitious and good move on the part of the election commission.

For those in Bangalore, details on "the hows and whys and whats" of the card can be found at:

http://bangalorevoterid.org/

As much as i believe that the every eligible citizen must exercise his/her right to vote, this post is not about the ills of voting/not voting. This post is to highlight an interesting incident that occurred when i went along to collect my voter ID card.

I had taken the day off (well not technically off, since i was working from home, using a fairly trustworthy and fast VPN connection) and at around four i decided to go and stand in queue for the voter ID card.

The scene was one of organized chaos, there was a queue, and queue looked like it comprised of three to four lines. It took me a while to realize that this was due to the fact that people were standing in line as proxies, as and when a known friend or family member came along, an extra space was created for them in the line!!!!

My sister had left half an hour ahead of me in order to get her photo ID done, by the time i had reached the place, my sis was quite close to the actual issuing counter. It was quite tempting for me to jump ahead and behave like the general crowd by taking up a proxy position in front with my sister. However a very interesting reason (other than my principled approach to such situations!) prevented me from doing so!

If you observe the inserted photograph very carefully there is a gentleman who has been circled in red. The gentleman who is highlighted in this photograph is none other than Mr. H. T. Sangliana, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.T._Sangliana) member of parliament (MP)!

It was heartening to see Mr. Sangliana standing in the queue just like any ordinary citizen and waiting his turn to collect his photo ID card ... very uncharacteristic of an Indian politician!!!! During the last election i had voted for this man inspite of his affiliation with the hindu nationalist party BJP; a party whose religious ideology does not strike a chord with me. It was the sheer stature of this IPS officer who had done so much for Bangalore city that had influenced my choice. Looking at this man, stand in queue just like any other ordinary citizen gave me a sense of satisfaction that i have never experienced before; I voted for the right kind of human being (i am not going to go into the details of his performance as an elected representative, this post is not intended to do that).

Mr. Sangliana (and his family, wife and a nephew) waited patiently for more than an hour in that queue before collecting their id cards.

Side Note: I am proud of Mr. Sangliana's stand in the no-confidence motion against the incumbent national government on the nuclear deal issue. As my elected representative, he did what i would have wanted him to do. Thank you sir!

No comments: